Thursday, July 26, 2012

Back again!

Okay, I'm back. I have a few readers so I thought I would do them the service of actually posting something. It's been so long I can hardly remember where I left off.
I do know that I've added a book to my others since then: A VERY SPECIAL FAMILY.

You can read about it on my website, but I'll give you a little reason to read it. It is the story of a family of dogs: a male and female and their four puppies. Three of the puppies have "problems" you might say. It is a story of their adventures and touching on the world of the disabled and what that means to those around them. The book, even though it is about dogs, is based on a real family with four children, three of whom are disabled mentally and physically. The book tells about them a little and the website goes into much more detail with how I met them and an interview with the whole family. Hope you check it out. It is beautifully illustrated in watercolor by Melanie Regier, whom I have known since she was in junior high. She was a classmate of my son, Phillip and now works for Dayspring Cards in Arkansas. This is her first book, and if you see it you will know she is a very talented gal. We had so much fun working together on it and hopefully it will be the beginning of other book collaborations.
Book signings begin in Aug., the first being at The Well in McPherson on Aug. 18, ten to twelve in the morning.

I just arrived home from a family reunion in Iowa where we celebrated my mother's ninety-fifth birthday. About one-hundred and twenty people were there for the event and twenty from my immediate family all stayed in a hotel in Pella, Iowa for several days. None of us live there anymore but we all feel very nostalgic about our childhood there. I've considered writing a book about it as it was small town idyllic, like Laura Ingalls Wilder books, but I can't quite capture the emotional warmth she did in my thoughts and who wants a story that is just funny and interesting events? Maybe I'll figure out how to do it someday and will write it then. I believe L I Wilder didn't start writing hers till she was in her 60's so I have a few years to go.

Got some other catching up to do so will sign off. Thanks for being a faithful reader and checking me out again!  ME

No comments:

Post a Comment