Wednesday, January 4, 2012

October 15, 2011


Okay, I said I would only write about things related to my “authorship.” Well, I’m going to deviate  today because it was something sweet and precious I wanted to remember.
Our 23 year old newly-married son had the flu two nights ago. He was up from about 4:30 on doing what people do when they have the flu. His poor little, sweet wife ran to the store for 7-up, saltine crackers, and chicken noodle soup which is very much the same ingredients we would have purchase if Eric had been sick at home. She had to leave for school the next morning so the very sick young man was left home alone. He called his dad who was off of work and said he just wanted some sympathy. His father, who has a very tender heart, bought a few remedies of his own and rushed over to check on Eric. He stayed and “shoot the breeze” just to help him take his mind off how he felt. 
I was doing other things that morning but my husband suggested I stop by and check on Eric before I started my 15 min. journey home. I didn’t feel like taking the time, but as I processed it in my mind I knew it was the right thing to do and that life is full of doing things you don’t feel like doing. For me that is a huge part of parenting. (A little note about me: I am a  pessimist and a bit self-centered. Still getting over my status as the youngest child in a family of five children and my sin nature. This may take a lifetime! My first reaction to things is often, “No!” till I let it brew a while and then think, “That wouldn’t be so bad.” This is also a lifelong struggle as my husband can attest to who’s first reaction is, “Yes, yes, yes!”)
So I drove to their little apartment and let myself in. Eric was lying on the bed looking pretty miserable. I came over, sat down on the bed, and felt his forehead. It was really hot. I asked him what he needed, got him some water, and just began talking about what was going on with me. He was so appreciative and thankful for my visit. I gave him some medicine which he had been afraid to take before for fear of throwing it up. He was so achy I knew this would help. We talked about how it would take 30 minutes to kick in. To pass the time he asked if I would read to him. He had a George McDonald book on his i pad. He is one of my favorites, and so I read to him from that for about 20 minutes. You must know that reading to my children has been one of my greatest delights as a parent. By the time I had finished he was sleeping. I kissed him good-bye and he told me, “Thanks, so much!” again and I left.
It was all so sweet and I was so glad I went which is often the case with things you don’t feel like doing. “Why was that so special?” I asked myself. Several things came to mind: He was so helpless and couldn’t serve me back. Isn’t that so much like God’s unconditional love for us? Eric was so appreciative. It makes a parent’s heart overflow when children love you, need you, and appreciate you. Isn’t that what our Heavenly Father wants from us? It was a reminder of another time for me: when my sister was sick and dying. Serving her by rubbing her back, getting her a drink, turning her over were not tasks but privileges because they were motivated by my love. These things are all a picture of God and His love for us. It is so beautiful, holy, and pure-a little taste of heaven on earth!
Eric spent the evening with us and was feeling better although not completely, of course. He was again so sweet and it was our delight to serve him. I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to share these thoughts. Heaven in the small things, you might say!

No comments:

Post a Comment